experiment week 3 all cardboard small bin with 30 composting worms

Introduction on the composting worms in the cardboard bin.

I took a peek at the small bin with all cardboard and 30 composting worms. I was happily surprised with what I saw but I’m not really impressed.

cardboard bin sorting composting worms

26 adults

I went throug the bin roughly. I did mess up their habitat quite a bit but I didn’t peel open every piece of cardboard that was inside. I found 26 from the 30 worms alive and well. I’m not saying there are only 26 left but it’s a possibility. It’s also possible that some worms really did well in the hide and seek game. So I have 4 worms MIA (Missing In Action)

some cocoons

I also checked to see if I could find cocoons in the bin. And I did. But I wasn’t impressed with the amount of cocoons. I must say, once again,  I wasn’t thorough, so it is possible that I missed a bit of cocoons. I did find 2 really tiny red wigglers. I was sure they were red wigglers because they already had their color but they were barely bigger than a pot worm.

wormbin sorting

A lot of potting soil

I’m always talking about the “all cardboard bin” but I do have to mention that I filled it with quite a bit more old potting soil then I thought. The bin is still 90% cardboard but that 10 % bothers me. So it’s possible I’ll be doing the test again, but with pure cardboard and no other amendments.



Average result

So, to me, at this time, it seems to have an average result. Of course, there’s not so much to say about 3 weeks. I still have to wait and see the final result after 3 to 5 months. I’m still happy with an average result. It would save me quite a bit of money if I can grow the majority of my worms in cardboard. Of course, once this test is done, I can use food scraps to add to the bin. But knowing the worms can survive on pure cardboard is a big plus.  I just still need a decent way to shred the cardboard into smaller pieces.

Conclusion

At this point I can see the worms laying cocoons and growing in the cardboard. They don’t look perfect worms. But they are active and at least 26 are still remaining in the bin.

I’m sure that I can keep the worms alive with extra grain food so there’s no problem in growing the worms. But having a really good bedding for the worms, even when there’s no added food in the bin is a really positive point.

If I can grow those 30 worms to a big mass of worms in 3 to 5 months, I can recreate the project in a bin of 9 square feet and grow a lot more worms at a time.

I’ll keep you updated on how the bin is doing in the near future. Let’s see what happens in the bin in 3 weeks. The bin will be 6 weeks old then.

Thanks for reading and see you in the next post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *